[Techtalk] Top Posting (was firewire)

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Jul 8 14:44:05 EST 2003

On Tuesday 08 July 2003 2:09 pm, Rachel McConnell wrote:
> I'm in the minority here, and i'm top-posting this on purpose to
> demonstrate... but how many of you reading this now really _have_ to
> read any of the rest below for context?  Top posting allows the reader
> to ignore the previous messages if they're following closely, but to
> have ALL the references there (uncut) if they want to reread the whole
> conversation.  Reader's choice.
>
> Rachel
> (who will resume 'proper' habits next post)

I quote Maria's message from earlier:

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Julie wrote:

> [ Top posting is evil ]

Q. Why is top posting bad?

                                -- Neil McGovern

<snip other stuff>

It's polite and useful to quote only the relevant bits. Just slapping a
response on top of a long thread is no good. It's probably more important on
Usenet, because posts are often dropped by different newservers. But even on
a mail list like this it's still wise and courteous to post and quote
properly. This particular custom is not arbitrary- it's about communicating
clearly.

The FAQ says it best, http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post