[Techtalk] Dvorak software changing

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Fri Jan 31 14:03:13 EST 2003

I just spent some time hunting the web and the like to locate 'how to
switch your keyboard to dvorak in software'.

I now have in my .bash_profile:

# dvorak and standard: X-windows
alias asdf="setxkbmap dvorak"
alias aoeu="setxkbmap us"

# dvorak and standard: console
alias ASDF="loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/dvorak"
alias AOEU="loadkeys defkeymap"

Note that these are not completely equivalent, if your defkeymap is not
'us'. I'm not sure (yet) how to find out what your default key map is.

This sets your left four home keys to be the switch command - lower case
for X, upper case for console. So if you're in one and want the other,
press the keys that would be asdf in a qwerty layout. :)

Jenn V.
 My book 'Essential CVS' will be published by O'Reilly in 2003.
jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/