[Techtalk] wireless woes

Andrew showork at adelphia.net
Tue Jan 21 03:14:11 EST 2003

On Monday 20 January 2003 10:37 pm, you wrote:
> Oh wait, there's more! It appears as though although my cd-rom works, the
> burning part doesn't. I'm not sure how my kernel was compiled but I feel
> like a whole lot of options didn't make the cut somehow. (Friend of a
> friend compiled the kernel for me and managed to NOT get: printing, usb or
> my cdburner working.)
>
> debian:/usr/src/linux# cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
> root
>
> Just makes me want to cry.
Emma Jane Hogbin,

	Take heart, the cdrom problem is likely a common one. I just went through it!
Unfortunately I risk making fellow listers upset, at least those
who helped me a lot, but I don't feel yet able to trouble shoot your
situation.
	I can tell you of Carla Schroder, who seems to have cornered the "market' on
CD problems, having written many web articles and a number on CD troubles.
She will probably read this. First there are few things to read.

Carla suggested the below in a previous note,
http://networking.earthweb.com/netos/article.php/1566421
"the links at the end of the article, under 'Resources',
go into great detail on all aspects of CD writing in Linux."

	My reading tells me, Debian is more difficult in getting these working than
in, Red Hat, Susie, and my personal favorite Mandrake. My install of Mandrake
had everything (usb,printing, pcmcia) working immediately. The problem with
my burner was it was purchased after the OS install.
	If you can, find one of the new Distro's. I bet most if not all hardware
will be detected and work "right out of the box". They are available on e-bay
and several site for under $9 (US), some include shipping for this $9 amount.

	Good Luck,
	Andrew