[Techtalk] Re: SCSI CD Writer Emulator and SuSE 7.3

raen7 at ihug.com.au raen7 at ihug.com.au
Sun Jan 19 13:47:51 EST 2003

Dear Lx

I have just installed a lovely new Plexwriter. I have it as master on 2nd
IDE with my old cd-rom as its slave. I am running SuSE 7.3

Following the SuSE manual I gathered that XCDROAST prefers scsi devices
and the IDE device requires scsi emulation.

I used YAST2 to edit INITRD_MODULES in etc/rc.config. I checked that the
file was edited and it is as follows:

INITRD_MODULES="hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

Following the manual I entered

# mk_initrd && lilo

This indicates something is wrong, ie

creating initrd "//boot/initrd" for kernel "//boot/vmlinuz" (2.4.10-4GB)
no such module: hdc=ide-scsi
no such module: hdd=ide-scsi
Concatenating splash picture size 800x600 to initrd... done.

And the cd-writer is not being recognised in xcdroast or KonCD.

The cdrom/info is

drive name:             hdd     hdc
drive speed:            1       40
drive # of slots:       1       1