[Techtalk] Mounting an XP-home share with Samba

Kathryn Hogg kjh at flyballdogs.com
Fri Jan 17 14:58:00 EST 2003

I just finished figuring this out because some people around here have
decided that we have to keep a whole bunch of files on a windoze share.

mount -t smbfs -o "credentials=/home/your_name/smbfs.credentials"
//windoze/xxxx /mnt/windoze/xxxx

The path /home/your_name/smbfs.credentials can be whater you want but it
has two lines it:
   username=<username>
   password=<password>

you can also use username=your_username%your_password instead of
credentials=.. on the mount command but that would expose them to anyone
who can peek at the cmdline by doing a ps or whatever.

Replace windoze and xxxx with appropriate values from the share you are
mounting.

I'm the lazy sort so I just added everything to the automounter which is
really nice.

--
Kathryn