[Techtalk] Re: LIDS and CAPSET woes

Raven Alder raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Tue Jan 7 20:06:50 EST 2003

Heya --

	Thankyouthankyouthankyou!  [grin]

Quoth Mandi (Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 05:52:19PM -0500):
> (disclaimer:  i am not a kernel hacker...where's VAL when you need her?!?)

	Your post gave me enough information to solve my problem.  So
have a happy glowy moment.

> there is one call to capset, in sysdeputil.c in the vsftpd source.  It
> looks like it's calling for CAP_CHOWN and CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE.  chown is
> probably the one you don't have in your LIDS conf.

	Yep -- I gave the vsftp daemon the ability to CAP_CHOWN and
CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE for ports 20 and 21, and suddenly everything was
coming up roses.  (For anyone googling this later:)

root at batcat ~ $ lidsconf -A -s /usr/local/sbin/vsftpd -o CAP_CHOWN -j
GRANT
root at batcat ~ $ lidsconf -A -s /usr/local/sbin/vsftpd -o
CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE 20 -j GRANT
root at batcat ~ $ lidsconf -A -s /usr/local/sbin/vsftpd -o
CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE 21 -j GRANT

raven at batcat ~ $ ftp localhost
Connected to localhost.
220 (vsFTPd 1.1.3)
Name (localhost:raven): anonymous
331 Please specify the password.
Password:
230 Login successful. Have fun.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
150 Here comes the directory listing.  [and so forth]

> (oh, and btw, next time you build your kernel, you can change the
> EXTRAVERSION in the Makefile so as not to overwrite your working system.
> ;) )

	Yeah, I ran into that just exactly too late.  [grin]  Oh well,
I learned something new for next time.  Thanks so much for your very
prompt help!

Cheers,
Raven

"Mug the Traveller."
  -- advice from the box of an Irish tea cup