[Techtalk] dealing with debian

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Sun Jan 5 20:47:19 EST 2003

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 02:14:09AM +0000, Stephanie Boyd wrote:
> Openoffice is only currently available in unstable afaik.  Assuming that you
> are running stable/testing, you would have to explicitly ask apt to install
> the package from unstable, using:

Ahh! I think I was using the wrong package. I've got it all sorted out
now. I ended up hopping on irc.debian.org #debian-oo and there were two
great folks who pointed out a couple of obvious things.

Here's what I had to do to get OpenOffice working:
1) uninstall all previous attempts by using dselect
2) delete the directories in my home directory from all previous attempts
3) delete a file starting with ~/.dv... in my home directory (if you don't
you'll get prompted by OOo when you start the program up).
4) add the UNstable package to /etc/apt/sources.list
http://www.linux-debian.de/openoffice/mirrors.html
has a list of mirrors
5) apt-get install openoffice.org
	(also installs other things)
6) exit back to my regular user
7) openoffice to start the program
8) finish the setup once the program had started in the on-screen
instructions.

Couple of notes...the following errors are allowed:
emmajane at debian:~$ openoffice
I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale ""
sh: /usr/sbin/lpc: No such file or directory
sh: lpc: command not found
sh: lpstat: command not found

They have to do with printing things you may or may not have installed.
The nice folks on the IRC channel said they were warnings and that I
didn't need to worry about them. (I got all afraid of them because debian
is supposed to install /everything/ it needs.)

Thanks again to everyone for all their tips and pointers and help!!

emma :)

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]