[Techtalk] cross-platform, cross-browser testing

Jessica Smith crystalsinger at mail.com
Fri Feb 21 15:09:05 EST 2003

Hi Emma,

>The important part for me is to see how something really does look in
>another browser on another platform.

>Someone told me that with the emulation option I'm still limited to one
>version of IE. With the virtual machine I /could/ have multiple IEs, but I
>don't have the disk space to have several operating system installs.
>
>Thoughts or comments on this?

You might like to take a look at an online service called BrowserPhoto:
http://www.netmechanic.com/browser-index.htm

It does screen captures of the page(s) you nominate on each of the
different platforms so you see exactly what an end user would.

They support 16 browser versions, including 6 versions/resolutions of IE on
Win, and 2 versions of IE on Mac. Not sure whether the pricing model would
suit you, but it may be work a look.

And the disclaimer - I have no affiliation with the company or the service,
I just came across it recently and filed it away in my interesting/useful
basket...  :-)

Jess