[Techtalk] making a terminal wider than 80 columns

sara neuroticia at neuroticia.net
Thu Feb 13 00:35:11 EST 2003

If you create another temporary user with the default home folder, log
in as that, and use eterm--does it work? Or does it only work under
root? If only under root, that suggests permissions issues. If only
"not" under your "you" account, then it suggests a problem with your
personal settings.

I've found that under Debian I often break my default user, and that the
quickest (though non-impressive, and non-geeky) thing to do is back up
my files, re-create the home directory in its default state, and restore
the files--saving the permission related files for last. Helps me narrow
things down a bit when I'm not sure what's causing it to break.

-Sara