[Techtalk] making a terminal wider than 80 columns

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Thu Feb 13 00:28:55 EST 2003

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 01:10:00PM -0500, Caitlyn M. Martin wrote:
> Anyway, I am not having the problem you described.  Which version of
> ETerm are you running?  On what distro?

Eterm 0.9.2
Fluxbox
Debian (Sid)

Ah, this is helpful: it only breaks when I'm being myself. Root is
fine.... ... ... .. :/

> I'm interested because I'd rather compile a newer version when I upgrade
> to Red Hat 8.1 than continue to use this old one.

You're probably safe...especially considering that Eterm works as root but
not as me.

> BTW, I've noticed vi complains (and doesn't work) if you have a terminal
> width greater than 80 characters.  Is there a fix for that?  Anyone?

Mine's ok...I'm using vim (which is what you're probably using if you're
using RedHat). Have you tried setting textwidth?

set bs=2                " allow backspacing over everything in insert mode
set ai                  " always set autoindenting on
set nobackup            " do not keep a backup file
set viminfo='20,\"50    " read/write a .viminfo file, don't store more
                        " than 50 lines of registers
set history=50          " keep 50 lines of command
line history
set ruler               " show the cursor position
all the time
set number              " show line numbers
set textwidth=75	" create a new line automagically at
			" column number 75

I have the above in my .vimrc file-- which is my standard. Then when I'm
editing PHP I use vii (instead of vi). In my .bashrc file I have:
alias vii="vi -c ':set textwidth=0'"
			^^^^^^^^^^^ means don't automagically make new
			lines when you get to column X

(don't forget to source .bashrc if you add this).

I have a few other programs that have "programming" defaults vs. "regular"
defaults. I just double the last letter of the program name to run the
"programming" version.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin