[Techtalk] Automatically running daemons on startup

Dan Richter daniel.richter at wimba.com
Fri Feb 7 12:50:59 EST 2003

Hi everyone.

I want to run a daemon process when my Red Hat machine starts up. I know
how to use scripts in /etc/rc.d/ to accomplish this, but I have two
questions:
1) Is there a boiler plate script somewhere that I can use?
2) How do I get the daemon to run as a user other than root? (I.e., how
can I write an automated command that runs a program as another user?)

Thanks.

========== Dan Richter ============== mailto:Dan at wimba.com ===========
  Marc Ewing had a reputation for being able to fix any computer
  problem at his college. He always wore a red baseball cap on campus,
  and so was known as "the guy in the red hat". Later, when he started
  his own open source company, he wondered what to call it...