[Techtalk] webalizer stats and ?query strings

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Fri Feb 7 00:33:55 EST 2003

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 08:05:04PM -0800, Raquel Rice wrote:
> Aside from the Webalizer problems you're encountering, there are
> other "problems" with creating dynamic web sites using "?" and "&".
> Most of the big search engines will not index sites with an "?" in
> the URL.  mod_rewrite really is your friend here ... and it fixes
> the Webalizer problems.

Hm, like which search engines? If I do a search on google for "maytree
access to foreign" (some of the keywords in my site) the #1 result has a
query string:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=maytree+access+to+foreign&btnG=Google+Search&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

gives the first result as:
http://ftpd.maytree.com/resources_view.phtml?resid=223&catsid=25

ht://dig, another search engine I use a lot also has no problems with
query strings.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin