[Techtalk] webalizer stats and ?query strings

Katie Bechtold katie at katie-and-rob.org
Thu Feb 6 16:01:36 EST 2003

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 01:55:10PM -0500, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> A web site that I set up uses ?query=strings to pull up unique pages from
> a database. Unfortunately Webalizer strips out the query strings and
> pretends the templates are all the same content.
> Does anyone know how I can tweak Webalizer to show this data? I'm using
> version: Webalizer V2.01-10 (FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE) English

There's a thread in a webalizer mailing list that has some answers:

It seems to come down to two choices:

1. Use the mod_rewrite Apache module to rewrite URLs like
http://www.example.com/index.php?foo to look like
http://www.example.com/foo
The documentation for mod_rewrite appears to be at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_rewrite.html

2. Edit webalizer.c, adding the '&', '?', and '=' characters to the
"isurlchar()" function, and recompile.  [I wonder whether the
webalizer developers didn't originally include those characters
because they thought most people wouldn't want to distinguish query
strings or because it might create a security vulnerability (would
it?).]

--
Katie Bechtold
http://katie-and-rob.org/