[Techtalk] bandwidth hogging

Brenda Bell k15a-list-linuxchix at theotherbell.com
Sun Feb 2 00:05:01 EST 2003

Jennifer Davis wrote:
>     Something is terribly wrong with my LAN and I don't know how to fix
> so I thought I would turn to Techtalk.  So, thanks in advance.  I should
> be getting downloads of 300KB/s and all I seem to manage is 10, and the
> dowloads grind to a halt.  I haven't been able to do much on my
> connection in probably two months.  It's fine for surfing and mail, but
> little else.

Well... you're running a firewall so this probably doesn't have anything
to do with anything, but the last time this happened to me (in my
pre-firewall days), my husband neglected to shut our FTP port down after
I got him to send me a file I needed when I was out of town.  Somebody
was running an MP3 distributions business through my FTP server which
consumed every byte of Internet bandwidth it could get.

Brenda
http://opensource.theotherbell.com