[Techtalk] Dvorak software changing

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sat Feb 1 00:19:55 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 01:03:13PM +1100 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Jenn Vesperman thought:
> I just spent some time hunting the web and the like to locate 'how to
> switch your keyboard to dvorak in software'.
>
> I now have in my .bash_profile:
>
> # dvorak and standard: X-windows
> alias asdf="setxkbmap dvorak"
> alias aoeu="setxkbmap us"
>
> # dvorak and standard: console
> alias ASDF="loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/dvorak"
> alias AOEU="loadkeys defkeymap"
>

> Note that these are not completely equivalent, if your defkeymap is not
> 'us'. I'm not sure (yet) how to find out what your default key map is.
>
> This sets your left four home keys to be the switch command - lower case
> for X, upper case for console. So if you're in one and want the other,

I recently bought a hardware switched qwerty / dvorak keyboard from
DvortyBoards http://www.dvortyboards.com .  It's a Typematrix TM2020.
It's small and flat (much like the Happy Hacker board) and really comfy to
use.  So much so that I had to go buy another one for home.  Dvorty Boards
is a small company and I found Mary Webber very helpful and a pleasure to
deal with.  The TM2020 is about US$100 plus shipping and I understand
they're working on a worldwide model (the current one is US layout).

Conor (who can't use an ordinary keyboard anymore...)

Domestic Sysadmin :-)