[Techtalk] Educational tools and contacts

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Fri Dec 12 21:39:27 EST 2003

On Friday 12 December 2003 10:51, Mary wrote:
> I got a mail from the online coordinator for Macquarie University
> He wants to know about:
>
>  - the range of educational tools Linux has on offer
>  - people who know about educational tools on Linux
>
> I know nothing about this, so if people can offer suggestions of
> educational tools, that would be excellent.
>
> I think he probably wants Australian contacts (since he's at an
> Australian university and contacted a local LUG), but if you happen to
> be really really into educational tools and Linux and want to talk to
> him despite geographic differences, mail me offlist.
>
> Most of my responses from the LUG were about K-12 or K-6 educational
> tools, and since he's a postgraduate education person, he may want some
> adult education tools.

I would suggest that the first ports of call would be SEUL-Edu
(http://seul.org/edu/) and Schoolforge (http://schoolforge.net/).  They both
have a K-12 focus (schoolforge more so than seul-edu), but some of the key
people (Doug Loss in particular) work within the university system rather
than the school system.  There are also a number of Australian's active on
both the lists.

Seul has a software index at http://richtech.ca/seul/ of open-source
educational software.  At least some of it would be relevant for adult and
universtity level education.

The lists have been a little quite lately, since Doug has been taking it easy
to avoid burnout.  However, I think your request is on topic for both lists.
To avoid spam, posts from non-subscibers get sent to the list admin (who
would then forward it to the list - but that is extra work for the admin), so
you could subscribe, or if you like I could forward your message to the
lists.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--