[Techtalk] machine code execution

etb lizzy at soggytrousers.net
Mon Dec 1 13:52:08 EST 2003

ed writes:

> Back in college days, we programmed in machine code on a small
> training device.  Latter we graduated to "Modern" programming on a
> dumb terminal using assembly language.

> I know about the assemblers available for Linux, but can anyone tell
> me how to execute pure hexidecimal machine code on a Linux x86 PC ?

You can run gdb and enter in any hex digits you please right before
the PC and go through each instruction step-by-step.

However, if you're interested in brushing up on your assembly and/or
learning more about running code at the machine level, you may want to
install spim which is a MIPS-6000 simulator. There is even a book that
helps one learn MIPS assembly using spim entitled:

      Computer Organization & Design by Patterson and Hennessy
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1558604286/104-0758814-6887162?v=glance

This is a standard undergraduate-level textbook.

Elizabeth