[Techtalk] Configuration Restrictions

Dennis Wheeler wheelers at eskimo.com
Sun Aug 31 21:41:03 EST 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 rocketgirl <wendy.mores at laposte.net> wrote:

> I would like to make a public terminal with Mandrake 9.1 that would only
> allow the user to use the programs such as openoffice and mozilla...with
> permission to print.  How do I go about blocking all access to
> configuration--and I mean all.  I don't want anyone to even be able to
> move a desktop icon.
>
> Thanks Wendy

How about booting from a live system CD, instead of the hard drive? That
way they can't change anything.

For example, Slackware ships a live bootable CD. I like to use Knoppix.

But you'll probably want to create your own custom one. There should be
lots of Howto's on the subject, but I can't recall what they're called at
the moment.

-- Dennis