[Techtalk] Google caching

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Tue Aug 19 07:45:06 EST 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003, Karen Locke wrote:
> I doubt the company even realizes there is such a thing as a search engine
> cache.  Is there anything he can do to get the info off the web?  Or are we
> just stuck?  (Grrrrr)

Cynthia has already replied with instructions for removing the site from
Google's (etc) cache. However, even if you or they do not apply to have the
caches removed, the next time the search engine updates, it will remove
the cache itself. Search engines do not cache content that has
disappeared (well, they don't after the next time the robot visits the
site).

A bigger worry is the web.archive.org historical web archive. Make sure
you check there too to see if they cached the document in question. They
*won't* remove their cache if they notice the document is gone, because
the whole point of web.archive.org is to be a historical mirror of lost
content. They too have instructions for removal at
http://www.archive.org/about/faqs.php#2

-Mary