[Techtalk] X doesn't start after Xfree86 upgrade

showercurtain showercurtain2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 01:09:32 EST 2003

X won't start after I installed Xfree86 4.3 on my computer. Instead I
get a grey screen with a small window in the bottom RH corner that
keeps printing "console logging for rgveda.localdomain". If I type
restartX in the console, I get the message: "Server already active
for display 0".  I've looked at the xf86config file and the settings
for the video card and monitor seem to be ok. This couldn't have
happened at a worse possible time  because I have an web design
assignment due! What should I do?

Thanks!
Berenice