[Techtalk] trying to find a question that _is_ "too dumb"

R. Daneel Olivaw linuxchix at r-daneel.com
Wed Aug 13 09:39:32 EST 2003

Hi,

> So many answers!  Eek!
>
> I've decided to go with "Superuser's Somewhat-Static Special Secret
> System Binaries".  ;)

I was thinking of service binaries, as /usr/sbin contains telnetd, ftpd,
etc. Obviously wrong, as others are there too. So superusers
somewhat-static special secret system binaries is ok for me ;)

> At least I finally understand why I have to give a full path to use sbin
> programs when I su to root..  Since the shell doesn't load root's shell
> config files (bash.rc or something like that), the path never gets set,
> does it?  Thanks Kai.  :)

well, try "su -" and you'll never have that problem again ;)

> I had considered that the "s" stood for "system", but it never made
> sense to me until now..  Still, it's ironic to have an sbin under the
> usr directory when users typically wouldn't use those programs.  Maybe
> it still doesn't make sense to me...?
>
> --ash

I've seen a document on standard unix layout somewhere, I'll have a look
as soon as I get time.

bye,

--
R. Daneel Olivaw,