[Techtalk] How to create a live boot CD containing your favorite Linux Distro

Bud bud at babytux.org
Wed Aug 13 01:35:38 EST 2003

Hi Ashleigh,

 Thanks for the suggestions. I will include them in the article when I get
some time. I didnt reliaze people might wanna try this on old machines that
didnt support bootable CD roms.

 To boot off a floppy (instead of the CDROM) you could try these out although
I havent really tested them with LiveCD

1) boot off the custom kernel (which we build) and issue a

syslinux -s /dev/fd0

2) On RH/Mandrake
$uname -r
 vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdklivecd
$ mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdklivecd

 Once you have a bootable floppy that works you can always copy that floppy as
an image (using dd) and included in the LIVECD along with instructions to
create the bootable floppy (using dd or rawrite)

# dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/root/livecd.img bs=512 count=2880

Bud