[Techtalk] JCL & OS/390

Jennifer Davis davi0302 at algonquinc.on.ca
Tue Apr 22 22:55:17 EST 2003

This is definitely off-topic, and I am sorry.  I just hope not too far
off-topic.  I was writing to solicit advice concerning JCL & OS/390
resources.  My exam in 'operating systems' is coming up and I feel
that I am not as prepared for the mainframe component as I would like
to be.   For the last month of the course we have been studying JCL with
the help of a textbook and nothing else.  The college doesn't have a
mainframe, (and I doubt they would let us on it if they did) so the class
has not had much chance to write scripts, test them and debug them.  It's
really too bad as I seem to learn more hacking away at a problem than just
reading about it.

Basically, are there any good books or web resources out there that would
make for a good study aid?  As far as I can tell System 390 Job Control
Language by Gary deWard Brown is a pretty good text, but if it included
some problems to test skills & learn from, it would probably make the
studying go a little easier and maybe build a little confidence.

Thanks

---
Jennifer S. Davis
Computer Programming, 1st year