[Techtalk] Setting up ADSL on RH 8

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Mon Apr 21 14:17:46 EST 2003

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 01:19 pm, Berenice wrote:
> I'm now using ADSL and wondering how to set it up on RH8. My sister
> and I are sharing the internet connection.  Her machine uses Win98SE,
> with the adsl modem and hub connected to it.  My machine, which is a
> Win2000/RH8 dual boot is connected to hers via a straight ethernet
> cable.

I assume you mean a cross-over cable.

>  I can reach the internet when I use Win2000 but not with RH.

When you are in Win2000, how does it get its IP address and gateway
configuration?  I've not used Win2000 much, but the output of 'ipconfig /all'
from a 'cmd' shell should provide some info.  So should (from memory)
'route'.

> I've tried using RH's internet configuration wizard to set up a
> connection, using DHCP to get IP addresses.  But it doesn't work
> because it doesn't appear when I check ifconfig.  Is there a way to
> fix this?

Not quite sure what you are saying here.  Does your network card appear at all
when you do an ifconfig?  If not, then you probably have a kernel modules
problem.  If it is there, but just not being assigned an IP address, then it
is simply a matter of working out the best way to get it an IP, and making
sure the routing tables are what you want.

Anyway, the output of 'ipconfig /all' from Win2000 and the output of
'ifconfig' from Linux would help.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--