[Techtalk] I lost my filesystem

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Apr 14 09:26:55 EST 2003

On Monday 14 April 2003 6:14 am, Hanlie Pretorius wrote:
> [Techtalk] I lost my filesystem
> From: "Hanlie Pretorius" <hpretorius at pnp.co.za>
> To: <techtalk at linuxchix.org>

An additional note here- l hear much moaning and groaning from oldtimers are
are used to LILO, and don't want to mess with GRUB. That, of course, is your
privilege. Still, I think anyone who gets the hang of GRUB will prefer it to
LILO. It is far more flexible and powerful, and not bound by disk geometry
like LILO. On true LBA (large-block addressing systems) GRUB can read any
part of a hard drive, so you are not bound by the 1024-cylinder limit, so
there is none of the creating-boot-partitions below the 1024-cylinder limit
silliness, put them anywhere your heart desires. Even Windows can be fooled
into booting like a real operating system.

The official GRUB manual is here, and someday soon IBM Developworks will
publish my fabulous "Build A Compact Test Lab With Samba and GRUB" tutorial,
which covers GRUB in depth.

http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub-0.90/html_mono/grub.html