[Techtalk] I lost my filesystem

Robyn Manning rmanning at adam.com.au
Tue Apr 15 01:27:39 EST 2003

Hi

A really quick and dirty way to fix this is in loading Redhat 8 again
get it to do an upgrade.

or
If you boot off the first Redhat cd it will eventually give you a
console with the command

chroot /mnt/sysimage

this will make your Linux active and changeable.

I don't know how grub works but the boot record on your first (Windows
2000) hard drive is looking for Linux partitions on hda. Can grub
rewrite the boot info like lilo does. If so boot of a Windows boot disk
and type

fdisk /mbr

this will remove Linux from the boot record, then boot from the first
Redhat cd again, run chroot as above and get grub to rewrite the boot
record.

Robyn