[Techtalk] Performance Monitoring, Linux

Rudy L. Zijlstra rudy at edsons.demon.nl
Mon Apr 14 02:03:32 EST 2003

Conor Daly wrote:

>On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 10:52:55PM -0600 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
>Andrea Landaker thought:
>

>>>I was wondering what are the best utilities (GUI and otherwise)
>>>available for Linux for monitoring the performance of hardware (CPU,
>>>memory, hard drive, etc.)?

Depending on the accuracy you want (how many samples per unit of time)
you might take a look at mrtg.
mrtg is likely most often used to monitor network performance, and
usually gets it information via SNMP, but
- mrtg can use other means of getting info
- snmp can be used to get loads of info (though generally not suggested
to use with samplings faster than a minute or so)
- mrtg is made to give you webpages with historical overview. Take a
look at http://www.stat.ee.ethz.ch/mrtg/ for examples.
gotcha: for various reasons SNMP can not give dependable CPU usage.
snmp = net-snmp, see http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,

Rudy