[Techtalk] Performance Monitoring, Linux

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Apr 13 23:22:15 EST 2003

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 07:38:04PM +0100 or thereabouts, Conor Daly wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 10:52:55PM -0600 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
> Andrea Landaker thought:
> > > I was wondering what are the best utilities (GUI and otherwise)
> > > available for Linux for monitoring the performance of hardware (CPU,
> > > memory, hard drive, etc.)?
> >
> > Well, that's all the ones I know of (I use KDE, so they're mostly KDE-based),
> > though I'm sure there are lots of others!
>
> gtop in GNOME

gtop is close to my heart, since it was my first contribution to
the GNOME docs project. Alas, it is now deprecated. New GNOMEs
ship with something called procman (process manager) which does
much of what gtop did. It doesn't include the pictures of memory
maps and so on, but no-one ever used them anyway. And it doesn't
include the seven screens of preference-settings which allowed
you to change practically every font in the application and get
hopelessly muddled.

When I set about writing the docs, no-one was quite sure what
parts of gtop did on Linux, let alone on BSD :)

Telsa