[Techtalk] Cool tool: x2vnc

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Sep 26 10:04:41 EST 2002

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 07:45 pm, Megan Golding wrote:
>  Some of us
> have VMWare but the overhead is pretty high, even on a fast computer.
> Many of us have 2 computers at our desks. (I think you see where I'm
> going with this :)
>
> What about the cost? x2vnc on 2 mid level computers is probably only
> a little more expensive than VMWare running on a high end computer.
> You'll get similar performance out of the 2 mid level computers as
> with the 1 high end computer running VMWare all day.

VMware is a pain to set up and learn, and some things, like networking and
peripherals, are downright bizarre. I'm not a fan of multiple OSs on a single
box, not for production work. Too many perils and pitfalls.

x2vnc is a hoot, I am a big fan.

>Seems to me the VNC Server
>running on the Win98 box is vulnerable to attack.

Win98 itself is the security hole!

--
Carla Schroder, Bratgrrl Computing