[Techtalk] Cool tool: x2vnc

Megan Golding meggolding at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 25 19:45:53 EST 2002

--- Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 September 2002 04:04 pm, Megan Golding wrote:
> > http://www.hubbe.net/~hubbe/x2vnc.html
> It is cool, see

http://networking.earthweb.com/netos/article/0,,12083_1470341,00.html

Great article! (And I see it was just posted today -- get outta my
head!!!)

> >The bonus is that because I'm not sending the graphical signals
> >over the network, the overhead isn't noticeable.
>
> How are your machines connected? Crossover cable?

Machines are connected via a 4 port Linksys hub. That way, the boxen
are also on the corporate LAN.

On a side note, x2vnc is becoming quite popular at my company because
a lot of us need to work in Linux AND run Windows apps. Some of us
have VMWare but the overhead is pretty high, even on a fast computer.
Many of us have 2 computers at our desks. (I think you see where I'm
going with this :)

What about the cost? x2vnc on 2 mid level computers is probably only
a little more expensive than VMWare running on a high end computer.
You'll get similar performance out of the 2 mid level computers as
with the 1 high end computer running VMWare all day.

Since my company is in the network security business, my next order
of interest is the security of this setup. Seems to me the VNC Server
running on the Win98 box is vulnerable to attack.

I'm on a LAN that's well-protected, so I'm not too worried. From a
paranoia standpoint tho, I'll be sure to use a good password and
change it frequently when connecting inbound to the Win98 machine.

Meg

=====
Meg Golding    |    http://www.kalamitykat.com