[Techtalk] online mailing lists that use free software?

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Wed Sep 25 15:51:44 EST 2002

At 1:28 PM +0100 9/25/02, /dev/null wrote:
>hi all,
>
>i'm looking into setting up an online mailing list / discussion group
>for electronic music makers of all sorts.... planning to use an online
>service rather than run my own from my server as its not really suitable
>until i get broadband...

Cool! Let me know when it's going - I play electronic drums.

>does anyone know of any *good* online mailing list services...
>preferably that run on free software - so *not* MSN ;-).... and not
>Yahoo because i can't stand their interface... (apart from that it seem
>to lose my account signups on a regular basis)...

Try NPOgroups (www.npogroups.org). It's a little off-topic (the list
is for non-profit orgs) but it's a great service running a mailing
list manager called "sympa", which I can say personally, having
installed it on my servers, is an incredible beast to install, but
(might) be worth it because it's database driven, and has much better
archiving capabilities than mailman. It's not free (npogroups, that
is).
--
.Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Technology Consulting
tech at murrain.net     http://www.murrain.net
413-253-2874 ph
413-222-6350 cell
413-825-0288 fax
AIM:pearlbear0 Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575

"A vocation is where the world's hunger & your great gladness meet."
Frederick Buechner