[Techtalk] Much filesystem/kernel badness (2.4 won't boot)

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Mon Sep 23 17:28:25 EST 2002

> So, my current theory is that my lockfiles are just all messed up.  I tried
> sending this mail directly from my machine and it didn't work.  I tried
> running fetchmail and it couldn't put anything into /var/spool/mail for me.  I
> *have* been able to ssh out to send this mail from a friend's machine.  That's
> about it.

Just in case anyone finds this message while searching for their own problem
and wants to hear the conclusion...

Running with the theory that my filesystem was the root cause of the
problem, I decided to wipe the partition and reinstall rather than try to
recover.  I decided to use ext3 this time in hopes that it'll aid in
recovery should something like this ever happen again, but actually, I
suspect the chances of that are pretty low.  It seems to have been just a
bad fluke of hardware being shutdown at exactly the wrong moment.
Everything seems well now and I didn't lose any data, just entirely too much
of my time. :P

 Terri