[Techtalk] Over-zealous spam filtering/ a constructive suggestion

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Sep 23 10:07:05 EST 2002

I'd like to make a suggestion.

A lot of energy has been expended on this discussion. Some points have made
several times. You know what I would like to see? Some of that energy
expended where it can do some real good.

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2002-09-21-009-26-OS-CY
 HOWTO Encourage Women in Linux

Vals' HOWTO is the second-most-read story for the day. Hurray! The majority
of the comments are from men, many of them negative. They are entitled to
their opinions- I would like to see more supportive posts. It takes a couple
minutes to post, no registration required.

Posting in public forums matters. People read and think about them. They live
on forever in Google. For this particular issue, having a lot of people
posting saying "Good document, well done, thank you" is powerful. "Me too"
posts are good. As one poster commented, if women don't appear to care, why
should anyone care?

At the very least we should support each other, taking a minute to post in a
forum doesn't require much effort! Yet the potential benefit is large. There
is lots of griping on 'Chix lists about the unfairness and inequities in
high-tech- this is dandy way to do something about it.

Any women who post, please sign with a woman's name!

This is my official retirement from non-technical issues on Techtalk. This is
important enough that I felt one more OT post was warranted.

cheers,
Carla
--
Carla Schroder, Bratgrrl Computing