[Techtalk] Over-zealous spam filtering (by Raven's ISP?)

Christina Zeeh lists at tuxtina.de
Mon Sep 23 02:40:16 EST 2002

Hi,

> So there are a million users somewhere on the other
> side of the planet that can't send email to this handful of
> addresses...
> sorry 'bout that, but they'll just have to get over it. If the
> inability to
> send us email causes them pain or anguish, perhaps they should get out
> more.
> If the wording on the bounce message is offensive, I'll gladly furnish
> sampling of the far-more offensive material that earned that host
> and/or
> domain a place on our list.

As soon as Raven (or anyone else you're providing with an email
address) decides to participate in a discussion on a mailing lists or
other forums that are as international as LinuxChix, there is a good
chance that someone with a banned email address will reply. And those
people have to see your message. And are probably really offended
because they tried to provide a helpful/interesting/carefully worded
reply to a posting and get that kind of answer.

I can't see how one can justify sending email to LinuxChix mailing
lists (remember, our rules are "be polite, be helpful"), and risk
participants in the discussion being offended (and probably also
confused) by such a message. Of course you can do with your server
whatever you like. But as soon as you actively participate on a mailing
list it is IMHO no longer your personal business what kind of offending
messages your server may send to legitimate respondents to your message.

It is very likely that most people who will actually see that message
are not spammers (I've rarely seen a spam with a valid return-path). It
is also very likely that the only people who will really be offended by
this message (in addition to the fact that their mail got bounced and
the time it takes them to figure out what is actually wrong), are the
people who really cared about sending you a message. So maybe you want
to think about rewording the message to be less offensive and more
helpful -- the spammers won't care about it anyway.

Christina

--
"I smile because I have no idea what's going on."