[Techtalk] Over-zealous spam filtering (by Raven's ISP?)

Poppy sylph at cyber-dyne.com
Sat Sep 21 13:43:27 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 07:51, James wrote:

> > > (It's also pretty rude: "553 ##### YOU HAVE BEEN SHIT-LISTED **..." -
> > > hardly a helpful message to send other Net users!
> >
> > I'm sorry if this offended you, but if you saw even a small percentage of
> > the "XXX These women will actually fsck animals! XXX" mails that caused us
> > to create the banned-for-spamming.us domain you might agree that this is a
> > very mild response.
>
> Except it isn't sent to those who sent you the spam - it's sent to anyone
> using the same ISP as a spammer!

Agreed. This is roughly akin to responding to one person yelling
obscenities at you on the street by standing on a street corner yourself
yelling "F*CK YOU!" to everyone who passes by, before they get a chance
to say boo to you. Not only does it not accomplish anything in regards
to the initial person who started it, it brands you in everyone else's
eyes on the same level as s/he.

Then again, as Groucho Marx supposedly said, "I wouldn't belong to any
club that would have me as a member."

--Poppy

Poppy,				  sylph at cyber-dyne.com
Friend of the Penguin
Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.
Poppy,				  sylph at cyber-dyne.com
Friend of the Penguin