[Techtalk] More wireless

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Fri Sep 20 16:23:14 EST 2002

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Davis, Jennifer wrote:

> I don't want to buy a wireless router as I already have a router, it's a
> P200 running Slackware, and I am really happy with it.  Can I just add a
> wireless card to the Slack PC and give it an IP and have the router machine
> assign the IP to the laptop?  Am I not taking everything into account?

Hi,

Yes, you can do this, but you'll need to take into account things like
security, and placement of the antenna if you can fit a small external
antenna, or placement of the machine if you can't

The only catch is that by doing this you will be running in ad-hoc mode
instead of infrastructure mode, so you might notice the throughput is a
little lower than what you might be used to.

A good compromise would be to find a wireless base station that can
connect directly to your existing network and bridge between them.  This
will cost more than just a card to go in your router though :)

good luck :)

Maria