[Techtalk] Icon editor

Dan Richter daniel.richter at wimba.com
Fri Sep 20 14:13:48 EST 2002

>What do you mean, IE doesn't support .png images? I didn't think IE
>supported anything that would change their icon. The spamcop site uses a
>.ico file, but it doesn't have any effect on my IE (5.5).

Ah, I understand now. In IE, the icon only has an affect on your bookmarks
("favorites"). If it's a .ico file, the icon will be used as the icon in
the "favorites" section. But in Mozilla, the icon is used in the tab
(Mozilla has a handy "tabbed" interface), and is ignored in the bookmarks.
(Mozilla accepts .png images too, not just .ico.) Presumably [LINK
REL="shortcut icon"] was originally a Microsoft extension, but Mozilla
decided to support it along with [LINK REL="icon"]. (While Microsoft and
Netscape both have a sad history of inventing their own ridiculous
proprietary extensions, note that the use of the LINK tag was never clearly
defined or limited.)