[Techtalk] Icon editor

James jas at spamcop.net
Thu Sep 19 11:47:56 EST 2002

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Dan Richter wrote:

>  >after a little google searching i found that apparently .ico is just a
>  >renamed bmp - so i renamed favicon.bmp to favicon.ico .... and i think
>  >that worked!
>
> Uh, I took the icon file from www.spamcop.net and tried to open it as a
> .bmp file, and that didn't work.

What does the "file" command have to say about it? ('file favicon.ico')

I don't think Windows .ico files ARE the same format as .bmp; I do recall
you can use PNG format images, although IE doesn't support this...

>  >in windoze itself (ugh ;-) i use ircanview
>
> I did a Google search for ircanview and got one match: a pr0n site.    :-/

LOL! Reminds me of the time I needed documentation about LaTeX... ;-)

> But on the good side, when I looked at Mozilla's site, I noticed that their
> icon file doesn't end in .ico: it ends in .png. It's a 16x16 image. So I
> guess that clears that up. But thanks for the information anyway.

As I say above, PNG is "the other" format you can use - but IIRC it
doesn't work on IE. For cross-platform support, you need to use the ICO
format :-(

James.