[Techtalk] RE: sending floppy disks overseas

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Fri Sep 13 14:24:42 EST 2002

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Arashi wrote:

> > The easiest way to do this would be to use a couple of squares of thin
> > sheet steel and put one on either side of the disk.
>
> Do you think aluminium foil would work? :P  Unfortunately, putting my work
> onto CD isn't an option b/c I don't have a burner.

Not really :)

Aluminium foil isn't very thick, isn't as dense, wouldn't provide any
structural protection, and won't protect from errant magnetic fields

sorry

> I saw some metal floppy cases at another computer shop today, but at 700 yen
> each I think they're more for making a fashion statement and I'm not going
> to spend that much on top of postage :P

Nowhere that sells offcuts of metal around?

or some sort of school thing that does metalwork?

I'm sure you must be able to find something somewhere :)
For a small consideration, they would probably tidy it up into something
that you can use to sandwich floppies between

Maria