[Techtalk] no gateway, yet it works!

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Sep 11 21:25:18 EST 2002

OK, here's a fun lil mystery. Nowhere can I find a gateway setting on my home
network- I have a little Linksys NAT firewall box. The gateway is
192.168.1.1, how original, but none of the client PCs have a gateway assigned
to them. I've looked in every config file I can find:
-redhat-config-network, the GUI configurator
-/etc/sysconfig/network- empty

ifconfig shows no gateway. so why does it work? I have Internet and DHCP and
everything, how in de hell do the client PCs find the Linksys box???

I thought I knew this stuff......

--
Carla Schroder, Bratgrrl Computing