[Techtalk] Amanda amlabel: Operation not permitted

Caitlyn M. Martin cmartin at rateintegration.com
Wed Sep 11 16:19:47 EST 2002

Hi, everyone,

I'm trying to setup a new backup server running Red Hat and Amanda
2.4.2p2.  I'm using an Exabyte VXA-1 RakPaq, basically two LVD SCSI
VXA-1 tape drives which I have daisy chained together.  vxaTool reports
that the first drive is /dev/sga and the second is /dev/sgb.  I can
access either drive with mt or vxaTool, so I believe my issue is with
Amanda.

I'm trying to label a tape before doing my first (test) backup with the
command:

su -c amanda "amlabel DailySet1 DailySet101"

The system first responds:

rewinding
amlabel:  rewinding tape:  Operation not permitted

I suspect a permissions issue as I can rewind the tape as root using
vxaTool.  Also, if I run the amlabel command as root it will say:

amlable:  running as user "root" instead of "amanda"

I know I'm doing something simple and stupid wrong, but for the life of
me I can't see what.  I can post relevant sections of my amanda.conf
file if it will help.

I've setup Amanda before, but it was on Solaris and it was a few years
ago.  Any clues where I'm being thickheaded?

Thanks,
Cait