[Techtalk] Learning Perl

kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net
Tue Sep 10 02:15:26 EST 2002

At 10:06 PM 9/8/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>The ebb.com tutorial is the best one I found online...
>
>Didn't find much use out of perl mongers or the monastery - most of the
>posts already on there are pretty advanced, and they seem to be pretty
>down on people posting questions without searching the archive to see if
>it's been answered before (although how they expect a newbie to know
>what to search for is beyond me)
>
>The best I've found so far is simply to decide on a project, script it
>out, and look up stuff either in the sources you've looked at or in the
>perl documentation (everyone's told me the man pages are pretty good,
>and I have to admit, if you know what you're looking for, they aren't
>bad.)
>
>If I can squeeze out the money to do so, I'll have to pick up a copy of
>that Perl Cookbook. :)
>
>Good luck,
>
>-Poppy

Well, by now I think I have initiated and ended incomplete learning Perl
10-15 times at least. But I could never be consistent and could never went
through the whole thing. Well, I bought both the Learning and Programming
Perl..and they are just picking up dust in my bookshelf. I don't think
Learning Perl is at all suitable for newbies. I gone thru' it and every
time I turned it down. Also, 'there is more than one way to do it
(TIMTOWDI)' makes Perl more complex.

But I will not give up...I have d.loaded the tutorial from ebb.org and I
will go through it and hope to finish it by the end of this winter. I have
to learn Perl by any means.

But every time I start learning one more time it becomes a great pain going
thru' the 'hello world' shit. You just don't want to go thru' it over and
over again...believe me it's so damn boring.

My problem was that I can not be consistent in learning anything...I jump
off a lot from python to perl to bash to C...but I have narrowed it down to
Perl and Python only.

Anyhow, add me to your list too...I am also starting probably for the last
time...with no repeats.

I also have a tutorial by Josh Cogliati...which I believe is not available
online anymore...it's great about 88 pages....if anyone wants it I can send
it to you.

Happy Perling,
Ken.

"In UNIX Land On a quiet Night, you can hear the Windows machines reboot."