[Techtalk] Why is life without X important? (was: Re: info) X is not the point!

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Mon Sep 9 17:53:10 EST 2002

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 11:59:02AM -0700, Dave North wrote:
> Malcolm:
> > Not everything under /usr can be shared between machines. The stuff in
> > /usr/share/ can be (hence the "share").
>
> Looking at it logically, it sounds like you're saying it's a permissions
> issue. I doubt (for example) it's _impossible_ to make /usr/doc
> "sharable" between machines (hold on ... lemme try -- oops! I just did it).

No, it's not impossible, but it's a namespacing issue. Everything under
/usr/share is sharable. If you used /usr/docs instead (which used to be
popular), then you end up saying "everything under /usr/share, plus
things under /usr/doc/, plus ..." and the list becomes harder to manage.

Cheers,
Malcolm