[Techtalk] Why is life without X important? (was: Re: info) X is not the point!

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Mon Sep 9 02:29:09 EST 2002

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Dave North wrote:

> Telsa:
> > Some of the videocards seem to have more RAM in them than
> > my computer has.
>
> There is apparently a neat little hack to access the excess high-speed RAM
> in those cards (which many of us will simply not use) and append it in
> various ways to the system RAM. I haven't done it, but it sounds fun!

Just as a little (slightly tangental) note, this doesn't sound very
practical, because that would mean accessing the memory over the AGP bus,
and that would slow things down , and for the gain of 32 or so MB, is it
really worthwhile?

> > I hated the info interface
>
> I never had any problem with it. The thing that gets me: I usually hit the
> man page first. After my eyeballs start spinning, I often think "maybe the
> info page will be better."

The info page often contains more information, but I don't really like the
navigation of the info pages, and the reader that was suggested
(pinfo) seems to like segfaulting ... I can't see this being helpful to
problem solving in a high-stress situation :)

> 	But nine times out of ten, there isn't one. So, off to
> /usr/share/doc/foo.
> 	Speaking of which, why do we need "share" in there?
> /doc is still under /usr, so... bleah. I digress.

maybe because it can be shared :)
(in a variety of senses, already discussed elsewhere :)

Maria