[Techtalk] Learning Perl

Malke Routh malke at attbi.com
Sun Sep 8 15:21:50 EST 2002

Hi, all.  Well, I've decided that my Autumn/Winter Project is learning
Perl, just for fun.  I have _no_programming background so my skill level
is definitely right down there with "Hello, world!".

I bought the latest Llama book and found a tutorial at ebb.org.  I've
been going through the examples, happily running them and bashing my
head against the wall when they don't work (I'll have to repaint the
room before I'm done!).  I am a person who learns by doing, so I have to
type the scripts, run them, and see what happens.  Just reading about
Perl doesn't work too well for me.

Of course I've been to perl.com, perl mongers, and The Monastery looking
around. Anyway, I thought I'd ask for your ideas, resources (online
course simple enough for a programming newbie?), etc.  I'll probably
check local adult education courses, but between running my little
business and taking care of my kids, I don't have a whole lot of time.
Self-study is often harder, but you don't have to worry about fitting
into someone else's schedule and you can do it in your pajamas.

Thanks as always,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers