[Techtalk] Why is life without X important? (was: Re: info) X is not the point!

iriXx iriXx at iriXx.org
Sun Sep 8 11:21:35 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-09-07 at 11:51, Telsa Gwynne wrote:

> ...because I was specifically thinking of the times when X dies
> and suddenly you can't use xman, konqui, gnome-help-browser,
> yelp, or whatever X-based application you use for man pages.
> At that stage you have to be able  at least to cope with man
> pages on an 80x25 (typically) terminal.

absolutely...

prime example (although it didnt involve man pages...)

i just upgraded the mwave modem driver in my thinkpad....
rebooted, logged in to X (Enlightenment, still my current fave...) and
ran insmod blah blah blah which i usually do to start the modem.
X froze.
and thats annoying on a laptop because as you'd know, to power off and
restart a laptop you have to take power cord and battery out or it will
stay frozen... (first time that happened i thought i'd killed it!
hehe)...

so next time i thought, okay, this is less likely to freeze if i run
without X... got into Englightenment (default boot is runlevel 5) and
typed
init 3
then ran my insmod blah blah blah no problems, typed
init 5
and my module of course was loaded safely and i could get on with
getting my email....

saved me from ages rebooting and crashing X.....

okay, so now i should add insmod blah blah blah to modules.conf, i
know... ;-)

bw
m `
--
iriXx
www.iriXx.org

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom?
info at copyleftmedia.org.uk
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk

 _
( )  ascii ribbon against html email
/ \    cat /dev/sda1 > /dev/dsp

 "Feel free to step up to the plate, but before you do, don't throw
rocks in glass houses..."
	- Linus Torvalds