[Techtalk] Docbook XML -> Text on a Debian system

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sun Sep 8 13:35:22 EST 2002

Hi,

Can anyone tell me of an existing stylesheet that converts Docbook XML
straight to nicely formatted text (ie with generated chapter numbers and
that kind of thing, sensible line breaks preferred)?

The standard solution seems to be "convert to HTML and then dump to text
using lynx|links|w3m!" The reason I do not want to do this is that there
are URLs embedded in my documents that I would like to be part of the
output. links and w3m simply do not dump URLs. lynx does, but dumps
internal ones as well. Given that Docbook output is full of internal
links I tend to get ten footnotes looking like:

 [37] file:///home/mary/document.html#AE001

for every real, accessible URL.

-Mary