[Techtalk] Gnome 2: menu editor?

Rebecca J. Walter rjp at mail.tele.dk
Thu Sep 5 10:55:29 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 04:01, Erin Raasch wrote:

> I must admit that when I first installed Gnome2 I was a bit disappointed
> at how scaled-down it seemed, especially after the zillions (well, it
> seemed like it) of rpms I downloaded and installed.  Half the fun of
> computing for me is making my desktop attractive and convenient to use.
> For my serious work I'm really trying to learn to use the command line
> more, but when I'm just doing routine mail-reading and internet
> browsing, I really care about the esthetics and ease-of-use of my
> environment.  I'm glad to know that it is possible to make Gnome2 work
> for me in that regard, even if it's taken some effort to get there!

If you are thinking about missing applications, it is because many
haven't been ported yet.  So you need to continue to use your 1.4 apps
for a little while yet.  Some applications are waiting for the next
stable release to begin porting (like Evolution).  Others are available
for GNOME2 from CVS or in beta versions (I haven't tried getting any
that way yet, but I think someone told me I could get GAIM for GNOME2
out of CVS).

Have you checked out launchers yet?  I am finding that launchers are an
ideal way for me to simplify access to apps I use a lot (like xchat).  I
am using the top panel for the menu, applets, and launchers and using a
small bottom panel for my tasklist and workspace switcher.

Which window manager are you using?  I am really liking metacity (the
new one) and it has some nice themes.  Also some of them are influenced
by the GTK theme (whee!).  If you are wanting a different theme than the
ones available, there is a themes site... sunshineinabag.co.uk i think.
i might be remembered the URL wrong.  Anyway, that site (if i have the
url right) has sawfish themes and gtk2 themes too!