[Techtalk] Gnome 2: menu editor?

Erin Raasch eraasch at chorus.net
Wed Sep 4 21:01:27 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 20:41, Sujita Purushothaman wrote:

> > There is also this document
> >
> >         http://www.gnome.org/start/2.0/menuediting.html
> >
> > which explains how to roll up your sleeves and do it yourself. It is not too
> > difficult, but if you make too many typos, things go south pretty quickly
> > (voice of experience here, trust me).
> >

> ok, this means it's different for Gnome 1.4 & Gnome 2. :-(
>
> Rgds,
> Sujita

I took a quick look into this document - and it definitely looks like a
rainy-weekend type project.  It did, however, offer some tips for
point-and-click gui menu editing which I'm playing around with.  I
created a new panel and deleted the default panel at the top of the
screen.  I have had some success setting things up to be a bit more
versatile - at least I can now access all my Gnome 1.4, KDE, and SuSE
menus from Gnome2, though the menus aren't as pretty as I'd like them to
be :-(

I must admit that when I first installed Gnome2 I was a bit disappointed
at how scaled-down it seemed, especially after the zillions (well, it
seemed like it) of rpms I downloaded and installed.  Half the fun of
computing for me is making my desktop attractive and convenient to use.
For my serious work I'm really trying to learn to use the command line
more, but when I'm just doing routine mail-reading and internet
browsing, I really care about the esthetics and ease-of-use of my
environment.  I'm glad to know that it is possible to make Gnome2 work
for me in that regard, even if it's taken some effort to get there!

Erin