[Techtalk] Aztech USB External modem configuration

Caitlyn M. Martin cmartin at rateintegration.com
Thu Oct 31 13:55:35 EST 2002

Hi, Linda,

>       I got the driver from the Aztech company's website itself and it
is
> specified that the driver is for Linux with no specific details on
with
> distribution of Linux.Mine is Red Hat 7.3 with the kernel version
2.4.18-3
> if i'm not mistaken.

OK, two issues here.  The 2.4.18-3 kernel which came with RH 7.3 is very
vulnerable and needs to be updated for security reasons.  You should be
running 2.4.18-17.7.3.  Also, make sure you've done all the other
critical security updates.  up2date makes that pretty easy and
straightforward.

The files you have are Mandrake Linux rpms which have been zipped.  They
may or may not work with RedHat, but it's very likely they won't.  If
they don't you are out of luck with this modem.  I am assuming you know
how to unzip a file and install a single rpm.  If not, post to the list
again.

Please don't send request for help just to me.  Stick with the list.  I
am so incredibly busy at work right now that I likely won't be able to
reply for a while.  You've got tons of smart people who know this stuff
inside and out on list.

Regards,
Cait